Whether you’re looking to increase your home’s value in the real estate market, maximize your home’s indoor comfort, improve air quality, or lower your energy bills, standard HVAC maintenance is a solid place to begin.
If you’ve got energy efficiency or market prices on the mind, TemperaturePro’s Ultimate Guide to HVAC Maintenance can help you check off all the important bases.
1. Air Duct & Air Filter Maintenance
Air filters might seem unimportant to your HVAC system because after all, they are only cardboard boxes lined with fibrous, pleated material, but they actually directly impact the performance of your entire HVAC setup.
The basic function of an air filter is to clean the air that circulates throughout your home, removing dust, dirt, pollen, mold, bacteria, and other potentially harmful particulates.
If you’re thinking, “I can’t remember the last time I checked my air filter,” then it’s definitely time for a new one.
We recommend checking your air filters once per month, and to change them out when they become visibly dirty. When they get too dirty, they aren’t doing your home, your lungs, or your wallet any good.
Dirty filters can damage critical heating and cooling components and reduce air flow within a system, forcing fans to work harder than necessary. This can cause significant increases in your energy bill.
Dirty filters are also less effective at removing dirt from the air, they end up pushing dirty air back through your home and into your lungs.
Finally, dirty filters can lead to contaminant buildup in your ductwork. Sometimes ducts can become so filthy that dirt will exit air vents around your home.
Air Duct & Air Filter Maintenance Checklist:
- Check your air filter. Is it dirty? Time to replace.
- Check your air ducts. Are they dirty? Time for to clean them.
2. Furnace & Heater Maintenance
Whether you’re in the midst of the winter season or preparing for the next one, there’s no wrong time to ensure your furnace is running efficiently. Here’s what you can check to make sure your home is warm and your heater is operating correctly for years to come:
- Examine and clean off all heating components, including the heat exchanged block, blower assembly, and burners.
- Double check your ignition and burner for proper functionality.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Inspect exhaust outlets for bird nests and other debris.
3. Air Conditioner Maintenance
When spring returns, you’ll want your air conditioner running in tip top shape. This will lower your cooling bills and prevent potential system failures when summer ramps up and outdoor temperatures hit their highest.
- Cut back vegetation and plant growth from your outdoor AC unit to maximize air flow.
- Clean evaporator coils.
- Check for refrigerant leaks.
- Look for loose electrical connections that could lead to dangerous sparks.
4. Thermostat Maintenance
It might not seem necessary, but thermostats require maintenance, too. Especially if you want your HVAC system operating at its finest.
- Have you switched to a programmable thermostat yet? If you haven’t, you should definitely consider the upgrade. Smart thermostats allow you to adjust the temperature of your home down to the hour of the day and can help you save big on your monthly bills.
- If you already have a programmable thermostat, don’t forget to switch the schedule as the seasons change.
5. Home Insulation Maintenance
A poorly insulated home does not mesh well with a fine-tuned HVAC system. If you have drafty doors and windows or inadequately insulated walls and ceilings, you are inadvertently forcing your HVAC system to work double time. This will drastically increase your energy spending.
Check out our recent blog on winter home insulation for some tips to help keep your indoor temperatures at optimal levels.
6. Total Comfort Maintenance Membership
All of this work can seem incredibly overwhelming, and that’s where TemperaturePro can step in. Our Total Comfort Maintenance Membership program helps homeowners just like you keep their heating and air conditioning systems operating the way should be all year long.
We’re committed to to caring for your business or home. Membership includes:
- Two 78-point inspections every year
- Free leak checks
- Discounted replacement parts
- No after hours charges on service requests
- Priority Service
- Extend the lifespan of your HVAC equipment.
- Forget all about your AC and heat-related stresses.
If you have any questions about HVAC maintenance, please give us a call. We’re happy to help.